The origin of the town of Óbidos dates back many years, more precisely to the first century. Here passed Romans, Visigoths and Arabs and many monarchs. Everyone left a landmark, which the village still proudly maintains today. The whole historic setting transmits a journey back in time to the days when the court visited the village. For those looking to travel hand in hand with the Vila and return to their past visit Óbidos Museums and Galleries Network is a great way to do so. Discover the Network of Museums and Galleries of Óbidos.
Municipal Museum of Óbidos
The museum was inaugurated on July 15, 1970. The first director of the museum was the President of the Chamber, at the time, Albino de Castro e Sousa (1922-1984). The Municipal Museum integrates the Route of Museums of the West and is soothes of the Network of Museums and Galleries of Óbidos.
The permanent exhibition of the Municipal Museum of Óbidos is a trip for the artistic production and the religious devotion of the history of the Village. It is worth mentioning the collection of paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries, which include works by André Reinoso and Josefa d’Óbidos.
Museu Paroquial de Óbidos
The Church of S. João Baptista is one of the most symbolic buildings and an indispensable reference of the Heritage of the Village. It was Queen Elizabeth who, in 1309, had the church erected, dedicating it to St. Vincent. Yes, it served to religiously watch all infested with lepre.
Today the Church is a space where Art and Religious Heritage coexist for their dignified expression. It is a meeting point and dialogue between your community and its roots.
They are the Parish Priest and the Technicians of the Municipal Museum who decide the contents exhibited by the museum. Bet on temporary exposures of medium duration – 4 to 9 months.
Abílio de Mattos e Silva Museum
The Abílio de Mattos e Silva Museum was founded by the will of Maria José Salavisa. It was planned for Casa do Fancho but in 2002 the idea was abandoned. The old Municipal Paços (which until 2004 housed the Municipal Museum) became available in articulation with the Casa do Arco.
Gallery New Ogiva
Galeria Nova Ogiva represents the extension of contemporary art from the Óbidos Museums and Galleries Network. This space was created in Óbidos in the year 1970 and had about three years of activity. After 30 years of inactivity, the Gallery emerges today as a strong landmark in the History of Art, Architecture and History of the Village and the Museums of Óbidos.
Gallery of the Pelourinho
This space was inaugurated in 2004 and is intended for cultural events such as contemporary art shows. The Casa de Pelourinho Gallery promotes and stimulates the practice and new talents that are established in the national artistic panorama.
This gallery arises from the need to have a space that would serve as an alternative to the Manor of Santa Maria Square, meanwhile occupied by the permanent collection of the Municipal Museum.