In the most distinct villages and towns, with its diverse natural and built patrimony, you will find places that will transport you to the ancestors.
The fine traditional Portuguese gastronomy, made with its more fresh ingredients, is to leave water in the mouth … Being covered by several fishing villages, you can choose between dishes of fresh fish and seafood, coming directly from the fishing ports.
Here you will find along the coast, beaches that offer splendid conditions, many internationally known, for the practice of surf, body board, kite and windsurfing.
For golf lovers, the visit to the prestigious Praia D’El Rey Golf Course becomes mandatory. A beautiful 18 holes golf course, par-72 championship, situated between pine woods and the Atlantic Ocean. Other golf courses such as Golden Eagle, Campo Real, Vimeiro and Botado, are the closest options.
And nothing ends here … see our selection of towns / visits, activities and restaurants that you can enjoy on during your stay!
Peniche is situated in the central-western side of the country, by the coast, on a peninsula with about 10km wide, with the Carvoeiro Cape on its westernmost side.
With several kilometres of a diversified and rich coast, with several beaches of golden thin sand and crystalline waters, Peniche has in the fishing industry and nowadays also in the Tourism industry its best allies.
There are several highlights in Peniche, such as its Fortress from the 17th century right in the city centre, the archaeological station of Gruta da Furninha, the Churces of São Pedro (16th century) and misericórdia (beginning of the 17th century) or even the lovely Nossa Senhora dos Remédios Chapel.
Nearby Peniche is Atouguia da Baleia, a quite pleasant and curious village.
In Peniche area, Baleal and Consolação are also worth the visit and above all there is the possibility to get the boat straight to Berlengas, a rocky archipelago where nature is almost in its most pure state. The Berlengas’s archipelago is a group of very small islands, declared a reservation area due to the importance of the local fauna (sea birds, mostly). In the Berlenga Grande (the larger island) is located the São João Baptista Fort (built in 1656) and a lighthouse.
Peniche is also famous for its handicraft and mostly the bobbin lace art, a centuries-old art whose origins are lost in time.
Also very famous and appreciated is the Gastronomy of this region, with a large number of restaurants, specialized in Seafood and Shellfish from this remarkable coast, such as “caldeirada” (fish casserole), “sopa de lagosta à moda de Peniche” (Peniche-style lobster soup), “arroz de marisco” (shellfish risotto) among many, many others.
Places to visit:
- Gruta da Furninha
- Berlengas Island
- Forte de São João Baptista
- Nossa Senhora da Ajuda Church
- São Pedro Church
- Misericórdia Church
- São Leonardo Church (At. Baleia)
- Pelourinho da Atouguia da Baleia
- Núcleo Museográfico da Santa Casa da Misericórdia
- Santuário da Nossa Senhora dos Remédios
- Cabo Carvoeiro
- May/June – Festival Sabores do Mar
- June – Corrida das Fogueiras
- July – Carnaval de Verão
- July – Mostra de Rendas de Bilros
- August – Festa da Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagem
- August – Feira do Artesanato
- September – Feira das Tasquinhas Rurais
Berlengas Natural Reserve
A natural heritage of great value, the small Berlengas archipelago, situated at about 10km distance of Peniche, is constituted by the Berlenga Grande Island and the adjacent reefs, the Estelas and the Farrilhões-Forcados, classified as a Natural Reserve since 1981.
The main island, Berlenga, occupies about 2/3 of the entire surface; on the eastern side is situated the so called “Ilha Velha” (old island), separated by the ocean erosion.
Presented in an almost pure and wild state, the Berlenga is accessible by sea. The archipelago presents an important and rich habitat for the most diversified species, with more than one hundred diversified kinds of plants.
The Berlengas flora is endowed with yellow marigold, corn poppy, silene, pulicaria or armerias, among many others that make of this a special place. Berlega’s Fauna is composed by many sea species, like the octopus, the starfish, the most diversified species of fish and a very rich avifauna, with species such as the Common Guillemot (the symbol of the reserve), the Calonectris, the European Shag, the Ruddy Turnstone, the House Martin and the much famous and numerous Seagull.
The Berlenga Natural Reserve delights for its great beauty landscapes, with crystalline waters and charming natural nooks, like the small Beach Carreiro do Mosteiro, or the Cova do Sonho, among many other special unique places. It is more than worth to discover the secret places of this natural wonder, through the pedestrian itineraries or by the interesting boat trips into the interior of the caves and grottos resultant of the ocean’s erosion over the granite stone.
The access to Berlenga is made by Boat, from Peniche, in, as many say, “a difficult trip” due to the strong ocean tides. The journey takes about 30-40 minutes. The visits to Berlenga are conditioned to the maximum of 350 visitors a day, in order to maintain the natural environment of this island and all the species that here inhabit.
The island has two restaurants in the “aldeia dos Pescadores” (fishermen’s village), and accommodation in the São João Baptista Fort, in the Mar e Sol Pavilion or on the Campsite (although an afterwards cleaning to the tents is almost mandatory, as they are quite tainted by the seagulls and all the seabirds).
Óbidos was captured from the Moors by the first king of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, in 1148. In 1210 the kind Afonso the 2nd donated it to his wife, Queen D. Urraca and in 1281 it was also donated by king D.Dinis to his future wife: the Queen Santa Isabel. From then until 1883, the town of Óbidos and the surrounding land was always the property of the queens of Portugal, and maybe that is the reason why the town has maintained such a lovely, romantic and picturesque aspect all over the centuries.
Its narrow ancient streets, with white houses, adorned with bougainvilleas and honeysuckle, small traditional shops and a relaxing environment, make of Óbidos one of the most lovely places in Portugal.
From the top of the Castle, one of the most beautiful medieval fortresses in the country, a beautiful panorama over the surroundings areas, blessed by nature, is provided. This Castle also accommodates nowadays one of the finest and prestige hotels in Portugal.
Several interesting highlights can be found in Óbidos, such as the Nossa Senhora do Carmo Chapel, the Santa Maria Church (probably built during the Visigoth occupation period and later transformed into a mosque during the Moorish occupation period), the Misericórdia Church, the São Martinho Chapel, the Senhor da Pedra Sanctuary (outside the city walls) or even the interesting Municipal Museum.
Inside Óbidos walls, in the Rua Direita, it is possible to find diversified traditional items and noteworthy handicraft shops.
In the Tourist office several information is provided, and there is the possibility of having guided tours that better show how attractive and beautiful town Óbidos is.
Several events take place every year in Óbidos. The most important are the Holy Week Festivities (recreating the steps on the Way of the Cross), the Ancient Music Festival in October and the International Chocolate festival in November.
Places to visit:
- Nossa Senhora do Carmo Chapel
- Santa Maria Church
- Misericórdia Church
- São Joao Baptista Church
- São Pedro Church
- São Tiago Church
- São Martinho Chapel
- Ordem Terceira Chapel
- Town Gate
- Porta do Vale ou Sr.ª da Graça
- Pelourinho e Telheiro
- Main Street (Rua Direita
- Senhor Jesus da Pedra Sanctuary
- Municipal Museum
- Parish Museum
- Abilio de Mattos e Silva Museum
- NovaOgiva Gallery
- Casa do Pelourinho Gallery
- February – Chocolate Festival
- Data Variável – Holy Week festivities
- May – Maio Barroco
- June – Junho das Artes
- July –Medieval Fair
- August – Opera Festival
- October – Temporada de Cravo
- December – Christmas Village
Bombarral is a peaceful agricultural village situated in the Central region of the Country, in an area of fertile soils where the famous and much appreciated Bombarral wine is produced, along with a large variety of fresh fruits.
The region has inhabited by men since remote periods, and throughout the region there are several pre-historical vestiges like the Hill Forts of São Mamede and Carvalhal or the Nova, Lapa do Suão and Pulga Grottoes.
In 1153 these lands were donated to the Monks of the Saint Bernard Order that influenced all the region with their agricultural knowledge and development.
This agricultural village presents a lovely architectonic heritage, with monuments like the modern Mother Church dated from 1953, the São Braz Chapel or the lovely Madre Deus Chapel dated from the 16th century.
Throughout the region there are several Manor Houses from the many agricultural producers and influent people from the village, like the Henriques Ancient Palaca, nowadays the Town Hall building, the Grojão Palace from the 16th century where the Tourist office is situated as well as the Municipal Museum, the Loridos Solar or even the Mellos Solar.
Another important building in the village is the Train Station that for many years was an important development tool for the region, transporting the fresh products produced in the region. This lovely train station presents interesting glazed tiles panels from the 1930’s, with rural scenes, namely the very important local wine production.
Bombarral also presents the Municipal Garden and Woods, with astonishing landscapes. In fact since the 15th century, Portuguese Royalty choose Bombarral for leisure moments, and had here a Palace with the Royal Woods, perfect for hunting and with healthy countryside atmosphere.
Places to visit:
- Museu Municipal do Bombarral
- Matriz Church ou Paroquial do Santíssimo Salvador do Mundo Church
- Chapel of Mother of God
- Chapel do Santíssimo Sacramento
- Rustic Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Socorro
- Rustic Chapel of São Brás
- The hand painted tiles of the Train Station
- Eduardo Brazão Theatre
- Gorjão Palace
- Solar do Melos e Castros
- Lafetat Tower
Wine producer Estates:
- Quinta da Granja
- Quinta da Ramalheira
- Quinta das Cerejeiras
- Quinta do Sanguinhal
- Quinta dos Loridos
- January – Festa de Santo Antão
- January – Festa de São Sebastião
- June – Festa da Vila
- July – Festival do Vinho Português
- August – Festival da Pêra Rocha
- November – Festa Santa Catarina
Sanguinhal is a small village nearby Carvalhal, in Bombarral, in the Central region of Portugal, in a beautiful rural area marked by its very fertile soils where renowned wines are produced.
The landscape is marked by fields of vineyards and fruit trees, that were influenced by the monks of Alcobaça during the middle age.
The “Quinta do Sanguinhal” is a famous wine producer and one of the most beautiful places in the village, that is also enriched by the interesting Santo António Church, dated from the 19th centre, situated right in the central nucleus of this lovely rural village.
The Quinta dos Loridos is a wonderful agricultural Manor House situated in Carvalhal, nearby Bombarral.
These lands once belong to the important Alcobaça Monastery, nevertheless during the 16th century the family Sanches de Baena bought these lands and built this Manor House that is nowadays a great exemple of the noble architecture of the 18th century, with several rural baroque elements, showing off proudly the Sanches de Baena’s family coat of arms.
The Quinta dos Loridos is nowadays a luxury hotel and also a renowned wine producer.
A big Oriental Garden is being built, with an area of about 35 hectares, with an artificial lakes and plans for about 6 thousand statues, combining a space of quietness and peace of mind.
Caldas da Rainha
Caldas da Rainha is a lovely town situated in the Central region of Portugal, known for its old connection with a Portuguese Queen, Dona Leonor, and by the manufacture of ceramics and pottery items.
During the 15th century the Queen Dona Leonor, wife of king Manuel the 1st, tried the therapeutic waters of Caldas da Rainha and a long lasting wound was at last cured, after many other treatments and medicines that did not work out.
As the Queen realised the excellent characteristics of the waters, she ordered the construction of a thermal Hospital in 1485. The location started developing around this central Hospital.
During the 19th and 20th centuries, Caldas da Rainha begins to be one of the holidays and leisure points of the Aristocracy.
Caldas da Rainha region has also quite fertile soils, and is known for the quality of its products, mainly in what concerns to fresh fruit.
It is worth to know the town centre, with interesting monuments like the São Sebastião Chapel (16th century); the Nossa Senhora do Pópulo Church (16th century); the D. Carlos I Park with many facilities like ponds, tennis court, bandstand or esplanade. This wonderful park gives access to the wonderful José Malhoa Museum from the 19th century, with important collections of Portuguese art, which highlight is obviously the work of this great Portuguese artist: José Malhoa (1855 – 1933).
In fact, Caldas da Rainha region has an high museum interest, with places like the Hospital Museum, the Ceramics Museum, the Atelier-Museums António Duarte and João Fragoso, the Artistic Faiences Bordalo Pinheiro museum or the Factory Secla Museum.
Also quite interesting and typical is the lovely República Square that still conserved many of its 19th century buildings and is also known as “Praça da Fruta” (Fruit Square) as every morning takes place an vegetable and fruit open air market that also sells one of the towns greatest production: ceramics, with the most diversified kinds of pieces, specially dedicated to popular and humorous art.
In fact, the abundance of clay in the region led to the proliferation of ceramics factories, already internationally renowned for its figurative and satirical works. The ceramics of Caldas da Rainha owe their fame to the 19th-century potter and caricaturist Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro, considered to be the first Portuguese comic’s creator.