The origin of the village dates back to the 1st century. Here passed Romans, Visigoths, Arabs and many Monarchs. All of them left a landmark, which the village proudly maintains. The whole historic surrounds transmit a journey back in time to the ancient times when the monarch visited the village. For who wants to travel in Back in Time to learn more about óbidos we suggest to visit the Óbidos Museum and Galleries Network. It is a wonderful way to do it. Discover Óbidos Museum and Galleries Network
Municipal Óbidos Museum
The museum was inaugurated on 15th July 1970. It’s first Director was the Mayor, at the time, Albino de Castro e Sousa (1922-1984). The Municipal Museum integrates the Óbidos Museum and Galleries Network.
The permanent exposition in the Museu Nacional de Óbidos is a journey from the artistic production and the religious devotion of the village. The painting collection from the XVI and XVII centuries where lie the works of André Reinoso and Josefa d’Óbidos stand above the rest.
Parochial Óbidos Museum
The S. João Baptista church is one of the most symbolic property and it is an unquestionable reference in the Village heritage. It was the Queen Santa Isabel who, in 1309, ordered to build the church. She dedicated it to S Vicente. At the time the church served to give religious assistance to people infected with lepra.
Nowadays it is a place where Art and Religious heritage live together in an honorable existence. It is a meeting and open dialog point between Village’s community and his roots.
The Pastor and the museum specialist that decide the contents exposed in the museum. Usually the museum bets on temporary exhibitions that last between 4 and 9 months.
Abílio de Mattos e Silva Museum
This Museum was founded by Maria José Salavisa’s desire. It was expected to be in Casa do Fancho but, in 2002, the idea was abandoned on behalf of the old Paços do Coelho (that up until 2004 harboured the Municipal Museum) in conjunction with Casa do Arco.
Nova Ogiva Gallery
The Nova Ogiva Gallery represents the contemporary extension of the Óbidos Museum and Galleries Network. This space was created in Óbidos in 1970 and it was active just three years. After 30 years of inactivity, the Gallery arise like a big mark in the Art, Architecture, and History of the village and of the Óbidos museum.
Casa do Pelourinho Gallery
This place was inaugurated in 2004 and it is destined to cultural events like contemporary exhibitions. The Gallery promote and stimulate the new talents that have becoming established in the national artistic overview.